Amazon

Lawn & Garden

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Forgive, in whose name?

After the Waki report laid the buck right at the desks of Mr. Kibaki and Mr. Raila, the next thing we hear is that Kenyans, need to pray and forgive murderers in the name of God, national unity and security. I mean, who is fooling who? This is nothing else but an elitist class struggle for survival against hapless and helpless mwanchi. It has nothing to do with national cohesion or peace. It is trickery of the worst kind that makes mockery of justice, peace, love and unity. It is a cover-up!

People burned their midnight candles scheming and planning evil. Before we invoke the name of God, we must ask ourselves whether, we invited him in the first place at our cabinet meetings, churches, mosques or at political rallies to bear witness as we ignited fire of fear, anger and hatred. It is mere short-sightedness and lack of human feelings to call for blanket amnesty. Who is qualified to ask for forgiveness? Where are the victims of such orgy and murder in this equation? Who should speak on behalf of those blessed ones who perished in infernos of hell while others helplessly watched and mourned as their loved ones begged for mercy from hideous marauders ran amok? Who shall defend the cause of the young women and men who were shot at, maimed and killed in the streets of our cities? I mean the government and politicians cannot run away from their responsibility. It is a moral obligation to bring to justice all those responsible of the atrocities suffered in the land of Kenya.

If history is the mother of all lessons, then we need to pick up some ABC lessons from the dusty shelves of our existence as a nation. Ugly lessons of history mock the very word “forgiveness”. What a déjà vu! Remember the old adage that meaningless “sorry” led to the loss of entire Whiteman’s chinaware? We have seen it before; heard it repeated over the years of our existence. It started with the “founding father” of the nation. After colluding with imperialists, he declared that we must “forgive” and “not forget”. This was right after millions of Kenyans had been utterly dehumanised through villaginisation, mass detention and mass murder. Yes, we heard it said “forgive” when Kungu Karumba disappeared, When Tom Mboya, J. M Kariũki, Robert Ouko, and Bishop Alexander Muge were all brutally murdered. Then came the 1992 massacre and now, forgive? To use an uncouth analogy, one does not sit and watch his feet get pulped by jiggers that keep multiply and sucking the very blood he survives on. It takes courage to sit with all known tools of trade to deal with the menace once and for all. Painful? Sure! But singular attention and resolve bring the nasty blood-suckers to an end. We must not be blind to the facts of history. Once people learn, sharpen and perfect the art of murder, the beast grows. It even mutates to an uncontrollable monster. I am talking about real, pure Evil – ugly and nasty, that is what it is. The only solution is to stand up and face it. It will be a painful and even scary process. When we resolve to face the beast, the animal will summon all of its bestial powers of evil. As it seeks to survive, the beast will retaliate with vengeance. But we must be relentless in our resolve and be not intimidated.

Sentimentalism, which is only an emotional bash in the name of love cannot and must not replace redemptive and creative goodwill. Real people got killed and others lost their livelihood. Mothers, fathers, youth and children were equally affected. Our own flesh and blood, not abstract amorphous beings out there, bore the blunt power of evil. Victims of violence need no pity, no forgiveness but justice. Lives lost, property destroyed, livelihood dashed against hard walls of anarchy, and grand scale land grabbing, economic inequalities will not be resolved by mere sentimentalism. We must squarely look in the face of our wounded personhood and reclaim it through the rule of law. Yes, there are some ignorant unemployed young men who blindly followed schemers, perhaps those we can forgive but not the perpetrators of violence.

If the Kenyan legal system is too compromised to handle this, then international jurisprudence must take over. Justice must not be assumed to happen, it must be done. I write in the strongest terms to protest and denounce all those who are calling for blanket amnesty.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey hey,
That is a master piece brother. I can feel the pain of Amnesty blanket in your writing! My prayer is that Justice will be done and not just heard and that we will all raise up and protest against the protection of cronies by 'our leaders'.
I have already sent an open protest to the said leaders and I hope it gets to their hands. No matter who it is, somebody has to pay for the perpetration of evil and serve as a warning to anyone else heading in that direction as my grandmother used to put it!

Anonymous said...

This a very nice article I will read and make my comments.

Anonymous said...

Johana,

I like your piece that expresses the feelings of many. I have suffered the pains of tribal violence twice. My parents lost their property in Narok in the first tribal clashes. The last ones destabilized me and my family... we have a home in Eldoret but now I cannot call it home... my wife and children say that they cannot live there. I understand them given the level of atrocities we saw in the media. I visited the area and although my property was not destroyed, I shed tears and virtually mourned and I am still mourning because of the level of wanton destruction I saw with my own eyes.

I am always fed up with the idea of forgiveness without retribution. People, should pay for their sins. Forgiveness is necessary for us so that we can maintain our sanity... otherwise criminals do not benefit from it because in the fast place they are not sorry. If we live them alone they will

Anonymous said...

I hear you Mutungatiri. I have no words. May God help us!

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you and I too believe mass amnesty is not a solution. What we need is real action against those servants of the devil who scheme plans to destroyed lives of innocent poor Kenyans. Empty words will not benefit anyone and will not console those who will continue to mourn their loved ones for ever. What is wrong with Africa and what is wrong with Kenya; until when will Kenyans continue to see things in a primitive way, our dear politicians argue like elementary school kids and those in positions of leadership seem no better than illiterate beings. May God have mercy on us now and always.

Anonymous said...

Nation of stupid electorate

Kenyatta preached forgive
Moi preached forgive and forget
Kibaki preaches amnesty

It puts bile in my system
I vomit

Raila preaches
ODM innocent

He is now Minister for goats and chickens
The man who financed and lead
led torching of church
Women and children
Roasted alive like chickens


I vomit again
Kenyatta day

Kenyatta was no freedom fighter
Kimathi rots in Kamiti
Kenyatta was never Mau Mau
And he sold nation to cronies
And served colonialists
And colonial guards so well

Moi the father of nyayo
Perfected the politics of own stomach
And Kibaki, he of kanu will never die
Is the president


The man who made Moi rule 5 more years
Raila odinga
Want to be the next president

The 4 musketeers make me vomit
Again and again

And where was the parliament?
This has been the house of misrepresentation
MPs before and after independence
Always represented their stomachs
And not Kenya


And Kenyans, we sit- watching – we are stupid
Doing nothing
As leaders roast us alive.
- A

Anonymous said...

My bro,

I was really touched by piece. But just as I indicated we need to encourage people to forgive. As I informed you when I visited the scene of the violence... and I had taken a bold step to go because it was when things were very bad. I went to respond to calls from Christians in a church I was a pastor after seminary. The pastor had abandoned the flock at their time of need.

I went at a time when going to Eldoret was difficult because at roads were blocked and bridges destroyed. In fact I had to travel by air and it took 3 hours to get to the town from the airport. I was really shocked when I saw what had happened.. People were so discouraged and were angry with their neighbors and with God. I spent many hours going from house to house to encourage Christians... others I had to visit them in the camps. I had raised support through the church and Kenyan community. My message at that time was of giving hope and encouragement to the dispirited and hopeless people.

The situation was bad because even those whose homes were not destroyed had to look for alternative accommodation. Even myself I could not live in my own house during that time... I had to lodge in a hotel for the first two days. Then I realized how mean I was because of spending money in a hotel when the rest of the people were sleeping outside without food. I decided to identify with them, and spend the money to support them.

Months later, I visited the town and to my utter surprise, I found the church halve empty. Not that the people had all shifted but they stopped attending the churches because of the anger they had with God and those who committed these atrocities. My brother, I was moved to tears again... I prayed a lot for these people and counseled those I could reach. I still get feed back that the situation has not improved.

It is in view of this, that I strongly feel we should forgive in the name of Jesus, so that we can get healing for our souls. However, those who committed these great evil towards humanity should pay to the letter for their sin.

I have chosen to forgive. I lost my cows during the clashes and I now have no home at the moment. The house is there, but my family would never accept to live in it.

Please consider this message I preached a month or so ago.

Bible Texts: Genesis 45: 1-7
Mathew 6:12
Theme: Forgiving to be forgiven
Introduction
Jesus taught the Lord’s Prayer to his disciples. The prayer He taught though short has impacted powerfully in the lives of many people. It is important to think through what we pray in the Lord’s Prayer.
Last Sunday Pastor K took us through some aspects of the Lord’s prayer and today we will consider one aspect of the prayer v.12 “…and forgive us our debts, As we forgive our debtors.” In this part of the prayer Jesus taught us to ask for forgiveness because as human beings we are sinners. Romans 3:23 reminds us of this, “for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,” We miss all so often miss the mark in our lives and commit sins of commission and omission. We truly need God’s forgiveness for, “If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. [But] If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word has no place in our lives..” (I John 1:8-10)
We need however to realize that in order for us to receive forgiveness we need to forgive others. Forgiving others is paramount because failure to forgive others gives the devil an advantage over us. 2 Cor. 2: 10-11 Apostle Paul says, “… I have forgiven in the sight of Christ for your sake, in order that Satan might not outwit us. For we are not unaware of his schemes.”
Un-forgiveness has caused a lot of sorrow to families, churches and even nations of the world. A lot of energy is used in pursuing the enemy in order to revenge rather than using our energy to build bridges. We need to get rid of bitterness in our lives and forgive others as we have been forgiven (Eph.4:31, 32).

1. Many a times we forget about God’s rich kindness Rom 2:4 forbearance and patience towards he has towards us. This is seen in the way we are unkind and impatient towards others who have hurt us. Instead we hold on to anger, bitterness and resentment. We need to learn to forgive others.
2. Many of us hold things against ourselves as well, punishing ourselves as well for the wrong choices we have made in the past. We need to forgive ourselves. Forgiving ourselves is accepting the truth that God has already forgiven us in Christ. If God forgives you, you can forgive yourselves
3. Many of us also hold thoughts against God. God has never done anything wrong so we don’t have to forgive Him. Sometime however, we harbor anger against Him because we feel He did not do what we would have wanted Him to do. These feelings of anger or resentment against God can become a wall against us and our loving Father.
I need to take you through what forgiveness is because you may be asking, what is forgiveness?
a. Forgiveness is not forgetting. You cannot forget all that was done against you. Do not postpone forgiving thinking that on one day you will forget all that has hurt you. You will never forget it! Actually healing begins once we choose to forgive. That is when Christ works healing through our hurts. We find true healing that though we may remember that we were hurt… the pain is no longer there.
b. Forgiveness is a choice, a decision of the will. Forgiveness seems to go against our sense of what is right and fair. Therefore many times we hold on to anger pain, we need to realize that God requires of us to forgive and it is something we can do if we purpose it in our hearts… to let go all the bitterness and all the frustrations caused by the feeling that we have not been given the right treatment or that we have not been given fair deal. We should forgive and never seek revenge Rom 12:19.
c. Forgiveness is agreeing to live with the consequences of another person’s sin. You are going to live with those consequences anyway… whether you like is it or not. So the only choice is to do so in bondage of bitterness or in the freedom of forgiveness. No one truly forgives without accepting and suffering the pain of another person’s sin.
d. Do not wait for the other person to ask for your forgiveness, remember Jesus forgave them even when they jeered and mocked Him… Luke: 23:24
e. When you forgive, choose not to hold someone’s sin against them anymore. It is common for bitter people to bring up past issues with those who hurt them so as to make them feel bad. But we must go beyond the past and choose to reject any thought of revenge. However, I need to underscore that this does not mean that you continue to put up with future sin of others. God does tolerate sins and neither should we. We need not allow ourselves to be misused by others. Take a stand against sin while continuing to exercise grace and forgiveness toward those who hurt you. It is also important for you to set boundaries to protect yourselves from further abuse.
- P. K.

Kĩriakũ wa Kĩnyua said...

Peter, I understand the pain and anguish that people have undergone. Yet the basis of forgiveness is justice. If justice is ignored as the politicians seem to be doing, no healing will ever occur. Believe me, history is cruel and people will have to make painful choices. If they decide to sweep the cry for justice under the carpet, which by the way is so evident just reading a few commentaries from victims, then there will be none to blame. I am not a prophet of doom but Jeremiah is a case in point to remind us that God is not always present when we want to believe he is. Personal responsibility to sin and evil must not be sacrificed for the sake of forgiveness. This is the way I see it.
Johana.

Sharing Journeys of Promise: Conversations with Kenyan Immigrants Living in the United States

A KWR Broadcast [featuring Rev. Priscilla Nyawĩra, Mary Waturi, Alice Waithera, Ngotho wa Njũgũna, and Chef Daniel Wainaina]. There are ...